Sunday 26 May 2013

The Only Difference Is That They've Done Something Really Awful [Possibly]

26 May 2013 Last updated at 01:53

Viewpoint: Why I'm right to work with sex offenders

"It's the kind of job that doesn't make for easy small talk at parties. And does working with sex offenders do any good anyway? Here Lydia Guthrie explains why she thinks it's the right thing to do.

My knees were wobbling as I walked down the stairs, wondering how I was going to cope, sitting in a very small room with the man who had done these awful things.

It was my first encounter with a sex offender.

I was horrified by the crimes he had committed against boys, but I pulled myself together and called his name.

An average-looking man stood up. He didn't have horns, he didn't have a tail, he looked like anybody else.

I introduced myself and asked him to tell me what he thought I needed to know about him.

He looked me in the eye and said: "I've done some really dreadful things and the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing I think about at night is the harm that I have caused and now I'm trying to rebuild my life.""

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22653991

Change Point

http://www.changepointlearning.com/aboutus/

No comments:

Post a Comment